Friday, September 7, 2012

Pachacamac

Eric and I had one last adventure before he left South America.  Pachacamac are some ruins about 30 minutes south of Lima.  We passed through a toll booth and then were waved over by the police for not having the lights on.  Apparently the law is you must have the car lights on while driving on the freeway and it would have been nice to have just been told "turn your lights on" but no that is not what happened.  I still can't decide if it was fortunate that Eric could speak Spanish or not.  I think he would have just let me go when he realized I had not a clue what he was talking about.  Instead he made Eric get out of the car (he was the passenger) had a discussion and then asked him for a bribe.  I called the Area Office and they told the not so nice policemen no.

We then missed our exit and went the back way to the ruins.  When Eric yelled out "this is just like Mexico"  I locked the doors while Eric reminisced.  It was however the first time I had seen alpacas wandering around like squirrels.


So Pachacamac is a perfect example of why you should never neglect to dust.  It looks like a pile of dirt


but underneath the years and years of not dusting was this.

and this.  An entire ancient city.


  An Inca city and below the House of the Chosen Women.  Not sure why, when and where they were chosen but they had a house.


There was a beautiful view of the ocean from the top.

No comments: