Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Earthquakes are scary

We had an earthquake yesterday afternoon and it was intense.

It was only a 5.5 but definitely the strongest I have felt in Lima.  I would say I have felt maybe ten earthquakes in our 16 months here.  Earthquakes are loud and sound like a semi-truck driving through the house.  I was sitting on the couch and felt the house shake, I realized it was an earthquake, I could see the house shake and still had time to think I should go outside before the ceiling comes down.  I ran out the front door and still there was shaking, maybe that was me. That is a long time for the earth to move.

Emily was at school.  There was screaming and crying while diving under the desks.  When the shaking stopped they went outside.  There was a big earthquake in Lima in 2007 and the people that experienced it are still traumatized.  I can understand, my heart raced for a couple of hours yesterday.

I noticed when we returned home last night the angle of this picture.  I guess that is what happens when you shake the cement house.


1 comment:

Mad Runner said...

I was in SF for the 1989 big earthquake. The vault door of the bank I worked at was damaged so it wouldn't close and all our glass windows shattered spectacularly. Not fun. Definitely exciting. Keep safe! (Sherri Hanna)