Thursday, May 8, 2014

He is done.

He is graduated.  I remember when I graduated from college it was the greatest feeling in the world to  be done with reading textbooks, writing papers, attending classes, taking tests and studying and stress of school.  I can still feel the bliss of that day 29 years later.

Eric has a couple of weeks before he starts back to school so he must not be done.  He is working on some projects in Peru right now with a BYU class.
Personally I think he is standing too close to the edge here.


Then he will begin his program for a joint master's degree in mechanical engineering/MBA.

We are proud of his last six years. 



Or maybe his last 16.



Eric graduated from high school when he was still 16 years old in 2008.  
Now six years later he is a returned missionary 


 and has his bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.  Eric does not have a degree in ironing or an I care if this graduation robe is ironed attitude.


Thursday afternoon was graduation at the Marriott Center.  I walked in after it had started and sat in the top row so I could sit back against the wall.  It had been a long day starting with my sister's funeral.  I was surprised at how empty the Marriott Center was.  I have been to graduation 6 times since 2005 and the last time I remember it being so empty was 2005.


We were rewarded with President Utchdorf as a surprise speaker.

Friday morning was the convocation at the Smith Fieldhouse.


Eric is in the front row of graduates, fourth to the left of the center aisle.


This was his cousin Devin's view.
  
 This was my view. 



Eric has spent all four of his BYU years with one of his siblings in town.  His freshmen year it was Justin.  His sophomore year it was Geoff and Justin.  His junior year it was Geoff and this past year it was Jenny.  Either we can't leave him alone or we can't live without him. 
And should Jenny leave, Emily will be there in a year.

No comments: