Monday, July 13, 2009

My favorite day


in Germany began with a short and scenic hike to Hohenschwangau, the starter home for "Mad" King Ludwig II.


Before taking this picture I complained that when I got the camera out, the subjects frowned, walked away, put their hands in front of their faces, or turned their back and I merely suggested that they instead smile and put their heads together. So there you go.

When did it go out of favor to include statues of old friends over the garage? I think it's a nice addition. The tour did not allow photos inside but I assure you it was spectacular.

The kitchen was down in the basement, near the torture chamber probably. For some reason photos were permitted here, but not sure if those cooks were original.


The view was amazing in every direction. We hiked down and then took the bus back up to Mary's Bridge on our way to King Ludwig II's parade of homes offering of Neuschwahstein.


The castle was right there (scaffolding and all) if you had the guts to walk out on the bridge. The ground and raging waterfall was a long way down.

It looks like we are the only people on the bridge, and that would have felt more safe, but we are five out of fifty, at least, which does not give you much confidence when the wood was bending under your feet. They say the boards are replaced. . . .
when they break.


From the bridge it was a short hike, with stupendous views, to the castle that inspired Walt Disney. I could imagine a fairy tale ending here.

Do they look right at home?


We rode the horse drawn carriage down to the valley. The driver asked the kids to sit up front with him and insisted on taking our picture. It was such a beautiful ride, which included this view of the castle.

They must have had a good time, finally they're smiling!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Pam said...

All I can say is "WOW"!
Looks fabulous. Sounds fabulous.

Debbie said...

"Starter home". Snort.

I wouldn't mind a starter home like that. As long as it came with more lively staff than you show in the kitchen...otherwise, forget it.

jenny said...

For some reason the pictures wouldn't come up for me until today. It is amazing there. Everything is so gorgeous.
By the way emily's haircut is adorable. There were a couple pictures of her that I had to take a double take because I thought it was me. Which is kind of weird, since I wasn't there.