Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Another day.

Another mountain. This one is all about a man championed by the press and set up as a Savior for a country in turmoil. Oops, I got sidetracked. What country am I referring to? Oh yeah, Germany. Must be Hitler. We went to the Eagle's Nest, his mountaintop retreat. Turns out he was a bit fearful of heights so didn't spend too much time here. And even though we hitched a ride on a bus and then an elevator they should have provided oxygen tanks for the remaining hike up the trail.

The building has been turned into a restaurant. It should have been a museum, I am not sure it's proper to enjoy a meal there.


Geoff, Eric and Emily were distracted by climbing the cliffs.

In the house I grew up in, we had a crow's nest. A room that could only be accessed by a ladder. The view here was substantially better but alarmingly less shenanigans with the crows.

The base of the mountain is filled with bunkers. Four miles of tunnels provided safety when the Nazi's realized they might not be invincible.

We spent our last afternoon at Dachau Concentration Camp. If Disneyland is the happiest place on earth, what is this? I'm sorry but this place was horrific. The iron gate has the words "work makes you free."

This area, to the sides of the trees, was originally filled with barracks built to house 250 in each of the 30+ buildings but each eventually held 2000.

They slept several to a bunk when the barracks were overcrowded.

Here's the prison within the camp. Which made me question, weren't they already in prison?

I'm not sure how to describe these pictures, the whole tour was sobering. The building below housed the crematorium and the gas chamber.

The room fascinated me. I don't know if that's the right word but what were they thinking? What was wrong with these people? How could they justify this?

Yeah. Never Again.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

m_perfect said...

Definitely not Disney Land but important in its own way.

I remember your crows nest. I don't think we ever slept up there...afraid of falling down?