Friday, December 18, 2009

For unto us a child is born

and then they grow up. I had my children draw a picture of the nativity when they were each five years old. What began 23 years ago is now stitched, framed and hanging on the wall. Finally. I think it was worth the wait. Justin drew the picture above. He looked at a picture that had originally inspired the project, but Justin loved to draw and his interpretation has been a Christmas decoration around our house for many years.



Jenny's picture improved on Justin's and hers has also been around for years.



Geoff's may be the most realistic rendition but only exists through labored persuasion. The inclusion of only the bare essentials of the three required individuals reminds me of his stubbornness even when asking just for simplicity.

Eric's is authentic overachiever. The stable, the star, the manger, the stacked stones. . . the stones? We don't know what they are either.



Emily put in everything but the kitchen sink, the lamb is even talking. Her Mary does appear to be related to a teenage mutant ninja turtle, however.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Unknown said...

oh i love those! So fun!

Debbie said...

Why didn't you share that idea with me when my kids were small? I'll have to pass it along to my grandkids...

Vesta Turner said...

What a proud grandma I am after looking at these. I remember Justin's. Where have the rest been hiding?

Emily Townsend said...

I think my Mary (the one on the left?) looks more like Jack from the movie "Nightmare Before Christmas." I'm pretty sure that one is Mary, the other one does appear to have sideburns.

Elizabeth said...

What a great idea, Lori! Did you sew it on or pay a Russian to do it. And congrats on the trophy!

Kara said...

What a cute idea! wish I had thought of it... too late now! :)