Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Home Sweet Home

We drove across the country during Spring Break last week. We were mildly concerned about the hazards of winter weather in those states that celebrate snow shoveling season like Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho. Turns out no problem, the blizzard was in OK and we were out of town.

We went to church with these two. I would keep them if I could. I love them.
We were near the Denver Temple so we stopped by.

We were near the Edwards as well, but Emily was sure her parents would be embarrassing (like that has ever happened). We missed you though. (next time.)


From CO we made our way to Jackson, Wyoming. Emily took snowboarding lessons,

while Lonny skied.

The resort was about 20 years past its heyday but the photo below was taken by the entrance to our room. So, can't complain too much, the commute was short. Ski School on the left, ski lift on the right.

Apparently all those really long skis from the seventies are still functional, they keep errant skiers out of your backyard.

Or maybe the elk from dropping their antlers at your backdoor. Although these sell for some big bucks so maybe you should let the big guys enter.

They have an elk preserve in Jackson. Emily tried on the antlers but they weren't that attractive.

We rode on a wagon, pulled by these horses

out to the elk.

There were a bunch. Can you say that about more than bananas?

The elk were like my children, turning their back when I got the camera out.


And fighting, when there was nothing else to do.

Then we found the bighorn sheep.

and then we left town.

To be continued.

4 comments:

Kara said...

Ummm... yeah... so you visited the temple but not US???? I see where your priorities are :) We would have LOVED to have had you drop by!!! We live 20 minutes from the temple.

OKTownsends said...

If it was up to me we would have seen you Kara. We went by the Temple at about 11 a.m. on Sunday morning so you may have been at Church. We have been teasing Emily for years that she should marry her first boyfriend so she is the one that insisted it would be awkward. Ahh, adolescence!? We love her though.

Elizabeth said...

So, did you ski, Lori or just gawk? Love the elk and big horn photos. Mary's class in IA emailed her wondering if she's seen any moose of wildlife. Nope, just squirrel and chickadees. Maybe we'll see the big guys soon. And congrats on the cute new gradnbaby-she's adorable!

OKTownsends said...

I did not ski. I was tempted because Jackson Hole is where my college roommates taught me to ski. I was worried that I didn't have time for a broken leg. I didn't so much gawk as I squinted. I ended up with a sunburn on my face and neck after standing on the snow with the sun shining.