Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Dad is in his 70's.



And after today just barely. I especially remember spending the 70's (you know 1970 to 1979) with my Dad. My Dad was a schoolteacher for a profession, so he was usually home when we were. That way he could think up time consuming activities that would keep us out of trouble and off the streets I suppose. I know all the capitals of every state and the presidents of the USA in order from George Washington to Jimmy Carter. (Has there been an election since then?) I spent hours picking rocks out of dirt, then washing and organizing them into a rock garden. I thought he liked rock gardens, who knew he just didn't want us sitting around.

My Dad is the original health nut. He rode his bike to work everyday, still swims and walks for exercise now and has never had a weight problem. He loves sports, life didn't permit him to play much as a kid, but he has coached plenty as an adult. I loved that we could go to the school gym on weekends and holidays to play on the trampoline, shoot baskets and climb the rope all because my Dad had the key.

As a young man my Dad worked for the Forest Service fighting fires. When I was a kid he was a volunteer fireman. We had an alarm in our house that went off just like we were at the fire station. Schoolteachers usually have side jobs to supplement the big bucks from teaching and firefighting was one of his. I never could figure out why they referred to it as volunteer. Besides being paid in US currency it included all the ice cream he could eat on Monday nights.

I always thought my Dad was funny, he has a dry sense of humor, nothing embarrasses him and he really has no tolerance for the irresponsible incompetent. I may have inherited some of his finer qualities. Thanks Dad for changing your stars. And Happy Birthday!

No comments: