Sunday, October 18, 2009

We have friends in Arkansas.


We took off for Branson over fall break last week. We had to stop and see the Mings new home in Bentonville, AR and have lunch with them. I should have taken a picture, I guess we'll have to go back. First they coerce us into moving here and then they pack up and leave.
We still love them though!
Lonny has been having his Magellan board meetings during fall break these last five years or so. We usually just take off without him but this year he was free to play so we went to Branson for a couple of days. What a hot spot! Actually it was kind of cool. Both Geoff and Eric were miffed when I told them we went to the Dixie Stampede. It was cheaper to send them to college than pay for another ticket to this dinner and show. This is the only photo of the event but let me tell you it was something. The horses were beautiful and plentiful. There were cowboys and cowgirls and cute little pigs and more food than a person should eat in one sitting.

Friday we spent the day at Silver Dollar City. Again. We have lost count on how many times we have entered their turnstiles but it had been awhile and we were anxious to get back. This innocent looking barn hides the Giant Barn Swings. A new ride. I asked Geoff if he had ridden it this summer when he went and he said he had and that it was horrifying. That pretty much sums it up.

You enter the barn and sit yourself on one of these swings. The girl in the picture is comforting the hysterical, crying girl that just got off the ride. That could have been a sign.

Then you hold on for dear life while the swing swings at least straight out at it's highest point which of course gives you a great view of the ground which you fear you may smack into when you fall out of the seat. Ahh, good times.

This swing is in the "we promise not to scare the breakfast out of you section" of the park. That's Emily on the far left.

Emily and Lonny were satisfied with one ride.

Thunderation is a kid roller coaster where some passengers ride backwards. Emily faced Lonny and I as I attempted to take her picture. She was laughing at me as we sped down the track and I could not hold the camera still.

Okay, there we go.


Ahh Powderkeg. The roller coaster that's blasted out of a mining company explosion. I have a fondness for Powderkeg, the name of the very drive we resided on in UT.


Here, I appear to have just been arrested but no need to worry, I am ready for the blast.

That's Lonny and Emily riding in the second seat. For about the 10th time. The weather was chilly and kept the faint- hearted away. Too bad for them because with no lines we could ride the rides again and again. So we did.

We must not forget Wildfire.


We went back to Silver Dollar City on Saturday and rode Wildfire seven times in a row. Except for the time I took this photo.


Here they are on the "why did I get myself into this" situation.


And upside down.


We couldn't decide which kind of jerky we preferred.


I don't recall this bridge from past visits but it could not be avoided. In my previous life I was a Springfield High School Miller.

And like high school, a few thrills and some jerks.


When we had had enough we left the park to board the Titanic. It was half a ship at half scale.

They give you a boarding pass with the name of a real passenger. Like the Holocaust Museum in WA DC, you tour the museum and then discover the fate of your person. Emily was a Countess, so yes, she survived. Lonny was the Chief Steward and he perished. I had the name of Bess Allison, a 25 year old who sailed with her husband, two year old daughter and an 11 month old son. The boy, along with his nanny, survived with the aid of a lifeboat. Bess, and her husband and daughter, drowned while looking for the baby. Their little girl was the only child in first and second class to not survive. It was a sobering end to our little trip but then so is the realization that you have to go back to school on Monday morning. It was fun while it lasted Emily.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. What's it like to only take one child on vacation? I really want to know - because just possibly we'll be down to one next year.

theresa said...

We have never been to Branson. Ya know? I think we may have to go! The Missouri tourism Dept should check in to using your blog to get people to SDC. I'm convinced! I have a friend who calls it Steal Your Dollar City, but surely it is less expensive than Six Flags or Disney World! Surely! Maybe? As long as we take a pass on the Dixie Stampede, that is....

OKTownsends said...

I always wish my kids were with me on vacation, but let's be honest. It's much simpler and much cheaper the fewer people you take along. And Theresa, don't let that stop you, your kids would love you, more.

grammy said...

yes, you must come back! i miss you more than ever now. when i rode that swing all i could think was...i should have called my kids to say good bye because i am going to die now. it was so darn good to see you all. xoxo rena