Saturday, February 7, 2015

Peru

might be peculiar.  In so many ways life here is normal, except when it is not.  I thought I should document the odd.

Last Saturday (and everyday) a guy was selling juice to the people in cars stopped at the intersection.  It is common to be at a red light and have a man or woman or a kid wandering through the automobiles selling something.  I have seen everything from nuts and candy to books, kites, phone chargers and a backyard toy soccer goal for sale.  The juice is extra sketchy though. They sell it in previously used bottles.  This particular guy was holding up six bottles of juice for sale, and one bottle was a former water bottle, one was a former coke bottle, one gatorade, you get the idea.  So the water out of the faucet is not sanitary here and it is practically unheard of to have a dishwasher. And so I wonder would you be interested in buying a bottle of juice that is in a bottle that once held some other liquid and was drunk by some other person and was unlikely to have been sanitized between?  Ick.  When I commented to Lonny about the gross factor he reminded me that at lunch time in the neighborhood, juice is sold out of the back of a car or truck from large plastic buckets and ladled into a plastic bag.

It is not easy to have germ phobia here.

I would include a photo but it is awkward to ask someone to pose because they are doing something gross.

And speaking of being stopped at a red light, Peru is winning here.  The countdown until the light changes is genius.  Plenty of warning to know if you actually have time to buy a plastic backyard toy soccer goal before the light turns green.




This is the escalator/ramp that takes you from the parking to the grocery store.  I should have taken a photo with the cart connected to the up ramp.



I have had so many people ask if I get my hair done in Peru, uh yeah, and it is extraordinarily civilized.  They are acquainted with more than the black dye.


And I don't know if you can really tell from this picture but the girls who check you out at the grocery store always wear their hair in a bun.  I am so used to Emily wearing her hair in a bun that I look at these girls and think they are ballerinas.  Also not unusual for every check out line to be open.


And one last goofball thing.  The neighbors gardener brought the lawn mower on the back of his motorcycle, of course.  This strange phenomena always reminds me of Eric saying a motorcycle is a family car in Mexico and I believe him.


No comments: