Friday, May 8, 2009

Hicktown

Emily and I were driving home from her dance class last night while Taylor Swift sang on the radio.
I told Emily I had read that
Taylor Swift wanted to sing a duet with Taylor Hanson.
She responds with who is Taylor Hanson? I forget that Emily hasn't been around forever. And although Emily adores her big sister Jenny, apparently Emily wasn't aware of Jenny's adolescent crush on the three brothers of Hanson, formerly of Jenks. When we first moved here Hanson was a hit on the celebrity drive-by-tour of Jenks. I would have even said Hanson may have been Jenny's first crush (sorry Jonathan) but then I saw New Kids on the Block this morning on the TV and was reminded of her 7 year old self's obsession with NKOB.
I do wonder if Emily thinks the music industry production begins in OK. She knows David Cook from American Idol lived in Tulsa for the five years before he won AI. Her friend recently played soccer against a team with the daughter of Garth Brooks who was in attendance. Jason Castro of American Idol knocked on the door of our church friends looking for their neighbors just this week. She knows Joe Don Rooney of Rascal Flatts is from Picher, OK and Kristin Chenoweth is from Broken Arrow. James Marsden from Enchanted and Hairspray is from Stillwater. We are not really country music fans so the gazillion of them from OK don't really count except for Carrie Underwood. Emily is a fan, so one day this year when she had a weekday home from school we drove to Checotah just to say we had been there.(It is the steerwrestling capital of the World.)
I have just one thing to say about Checotah. Hicktown.
If Carrie had been home we would have seen her. It's that small. Which reminds me, actually Emily and I did see her. About three years ago. We were at Valley River Mall in Eugene, OR on vacation. Emily and I walked into the theater to see a movie and standing there against the wall was Carrie Underwood. I leaned down and said to Emily, OMG there's CU!
(I am positive I didn't speak in code at the time.)
When I looked up there were two women whispering and gawking at CU and they quickly recognized an opportunity and persuaded Emily to accompany them to go speak to her. Emily would be their excuse to ask for an autograph. The signed movie popcorn advertisement from one Okie to another stills hangs on Emily's wall.
Here's to all the Hicks from Oak La Home uh.

1 comment:

m_perfect said...

I absolutely had no idea! Do you suppose it's the air, geographical locality, or the history that inspires all these people to burst into song?