Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Make your bed.

I'm begging you,is that too much to ask? Mother's Day has now come and gone. I needed to take time to reflect on that one day of the year when women everywhere are reminded of everything they were supposed to do, forgot to do, or were simply incapable of doing that has left them inevitably pondering the question; what do I do now? This is Eric's room today. Through no fault of his own Eric had to speak in church on Mother's Day. It was at least the third time in the past six years that he has done so. They say the third time is the charm and really he did make me sound way more impressive than he should have because well, look at his room. I mean really, if I had any idea what I was doing would his bed look like this. And if I really wanted to enjoy Mother's Day would I choose to have my child speak about me in public, in front of everyone. I have never liked being the center of attention and this one day is no exception. I thank him publicly however, for not mentioning that I have not particularly shined at teaching the art of making a bed, hanging up a towel or landing the dirty clothes in or even near the basket.


If it is any consolation I am highly consistent. Because this is his brother's room. And if it appears he plugs himself in at night, take note, he is not recharging his "clean up after yourself" battery.
This room is the direct result of pleading lectures, unbridled bribing and full scale warfare. It is all for naught, whatever that means.



Some experts warn not to embarrass your children. Don't be alarmed, this will not happen. This isn't my first try.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

m_perfect said...

If you think about the fact that "airing the bed" awhile before you make it is decimating the dust mite population by literally millions then the boys are doing great!!!

theresa said...

Lori! I am so glad to find out you are a blogger! I spent way more time than I should have reading through your hilarious posts. It's funny, the hours we spend at The Dance Pointe, yet I learned more today about you than I ever knew before. I am excited to keep reading more...and I hope that eventually i will get to a post that explains the name of your blog!!!

Miranda Townsend said...

I'm with Eric and Geoff...I see NO point to making your bed because you will just get back in it and mess it up the same day you made it. As anal as I am, this is one area where I go buck wild! I know...i'm SOO rebellious!

Pam said...

I'm with you, I guess. All the cards, emails and text messages I got that said, "You're such a GOOD mom!", must have REALLY meant I was good (to them) because I never quite figured out how to inspire/force them to make their beds, pick up their clothes, you know the rest. But I DO love them, so I guess, that's what makes me a good mom. (And after all this time I've never thrown anyone OUT!) ;-(

But I've "given up" on learning how because with my youngest (and lone man at home) I make his bed while he showers for seminary. It makes me feel better to have it done and it prevents him from going back to bed. I figure it's a good compromise. ;-)

Karl and Jana Hendricks said...

Hey Lori - It only took Kasey two weeks from the time he got home from his mission to take all the "fluff" stuff off his bed. He only had pillows sheets and one blanket left. He has been back to school for a few weeks now and I finally got "his" room back to normal today!